Friday, October 7, 2011

Brulee a la Mango

Compliments of my Martha Stewart Living magazine...  This dessert is fantastically simple and delicious, and actually pretty healthy for a dessert!


Mango Brulee

Ingredients:
2 mangos
8 tbsp turbinado (raw) sugar
1 lime, cut into wedges

1.  Halve the mango on either side of the pit.  (To do this, I slice in the middle until I hit the pit.  Then I cut 1/8" to the right of that and repeat until I can slice all the way through; that leaves the pit, but you get a flat surface on that one half.  That is important because it won't crust if it's not flat.)
2.  Preheat the broiler to high (mine goes to 450F); line a baking sheet with foil.
3.  Arrange the mango halves on the foil; sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar on each half.  Be sure to make a good layer that covers the mango thoroughly.
4.  Broil on high until the sugar is browned and hardened; it takes me approximately 10 minutes.  (I watch for it to stop bubbling, and then it usually starts to harden.)
5.  Serve warm with lime wedges.

1 comment: